Weight-Loss Tip S:
(This tip is the one I really need to work on!)
Many research studies confirm that by eating slowly, you may consume fewer calories. Why? Well, it takes about 20 minutes for our brains to register that we are full. If we eat fast, we may continue eating past the point where we are full (See my blog on Tip H- Hunger Scale). If we eat slowly, we have time to realize we are full before we "clean our plate" or go back for "seconds". This can help reduce the number of Calories we eat at each meal. In addition, eating slowly is better for digestion (less indigestion and stomachaches) and allows us to really ENJOY our food.
Here are some quick and easy tips on
how to slow down when eating:
- Chew each bite 15-20 times
- Use your non-dominate hand to eat
- Use chopsticks
- Put down your utensil and sip water between each bite
- Turn off all distractions (TV, Computer, etc) and really pay attention to your food...and enjoy it!
- Enjoy some conversation with family or friends. (It's hard to eat fast when you are talking.)
Try some of these ideas at your next meal.
They really do work!